Chateau Fonplegade, Saint Emilion Grand Cru Classe, is a 44-acre property. It is located on the south-side of the famous plateau of Saint Emilion, near the Chateaux Ausone, Bel Air, Canon and Magdelaine. Looking at the Roman pathways still visible today, Fonplegade could be one of the oldest vineyards of Saint-Emilion. Fonplegade means 'full fountain' or 'bent fountain'. The meaning comes from its clay soil, which supports the formation of springs on the upper side of the property.
A few purchases, inheritances and years later, the property became the way it is now: 44 acres all in one block. In 1863, Chateau Fonplegade was sold to the Duke of Morny, step brother of Napoleon the 3rd, and to his sister the Countess of Galard. It was successively taken over by a bank, then by Armand Moueix in 1953 until Denise and Stephen Adams bought it in 2004. Their main goal now is to be part of the best in Saint-Emilion. Their plan since 2004 has been simple but ambitious: to renovate the vineyards and to go back to friendlier methods towards the environment and the vineyard itself. The year 2009 is the start of the biodynamic production at Fonplegade. Second wine: Fleur de Fonplegade.